Illustration by Trevor Grassi
The mission of the Hudson Valley Brassroots Festival (HVBF) is to celebrate brass music in a rural, accessible and family-friendly environment. Founded by members of Brooklyn-based Raya Brass Band, Funkrust Brass Band and local activist street band Tin Horn Uprising, we love brass music and its spontaneous, celebratory nature, and we wanted to create an environment where people could enjoy the music we love in a beautiful place outside of the city.
This year's inaugural festival will feature music from eight bands whose influences range from the Balkans to Latin America, New Orleans second line to brasspunk and activist anthems.
3 pm — Second Line Social Aid and Pleasure Society Brass Band — Boston, MA
4 pm — The ‘Ol Factory Brass Band — Red Hook, NY
5 pm — The Extraordinary Rendition Band — Providence, RI
6 pm — The L Train Brass Band — Brooklyn, NY
7 pm — Funkrust Brass Band — Brooklyn, NY
8 pm — Raya Brass Band — Brooklyn, NY
9 pm — What Cheer! Brigade — Providence, RI
Funkrust Brass Band
Raya Brass Band
Rosendale Improvement Association Brass Band and Social Club
Second Line Social Aid and Pleasure Society Brass Band
The ‘Ol Factory Brass Band
The Extraordinary Rendition Band
The L Train Brass Band
Get Involved VOLUNTEER, BECOME A SPONSOR AND/OR DONATE
We need your help! We are a small team and would welcome your help to make our vision for this festival come to life.
If you'd like to help keep things running on festival day and/or before or after the event, please reach out by filling out the form below.
Please Donate to our Indiegogo Campaign
There are a few different ways to get to the Brassroots Festival!
- Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/G2oM3z4iRrE2
- From NYC, take the NYS Thruway to Exit 19.
- At the traffic circle take the third exit to 587-N.
- Turn left onto Albany Avenue, and continue onto Ulster Avenue.
- Make a left on Esopus Avenue, and keep left to stay on Esopus Avenue.
- Seed Song Farm will be on your right.
- Parking is on the right, you will see a sign to make the turn and someone will direct you to a spot.
There are a few different options:
- Ulster County UCAT "K" bus: 3-minute brisk walk from the Chambers stop: schedule.
- City of Kingston "B" Bus: $1 from anywhere in Kingston; 12-minute brisk walk from the Business Resource Center on Ulster Ave: schedule.
- Frequent Metro North Train to Poughkeepsie, then UCAT bus to Kingston: NYC & stops to Poughkeepsie: schedule. Poughkeepsie to Kingston UCAT bus: schedule.
- Hourly Trailways bus from NYC (Port Authority; 2 hrs; $45 round trip) and New Paltz to Kingston ($5): schedule.
There will be a large lot on the right before the greenhouse as you approach Seed Song Farm and a sign that says “Parking”. Please turn at the sign and someone will direct you to a spot.
We have partnered with the Courtyard Marriott in Kingston and are excited to offer a discounted rate of $149/room for the festival weekend. Click this link to access this deal: Courtyard Marriott Kingston - Brassroots Rate.
Kingston is also ripe with a variety of Airbnb, bed and breakfast and inn options.
Contact us if you have any questions or if you are a lodging business interested in partnering with us.
We would like to thank our sponsors
Their support helps to make this festival possible.
A full day and evening of brass band music of all kinds for all ages at a gorgeous farm in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains.
Dancing in the open air
Locally sourced food & drink
Send us a message
Join our email list
Social Media Links
The Hudson Valley Brassroots Festival is a production of Hudson Valley Community Productions, a 501c3 Tax Exempt Arts Organization.